Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bobs Big Boy/ Big mistake


Bobs Big Boy
4211 Riverside Dr.
Burbank, Ca. 91505
818-843-9334

Well first let me say that this location is the original Bobs Big Boy and is a cultural and architectural monument. Still has the Big Boy out front and everything. Very cool place. The service there has always been top notch and the people are very friendly as well. The vibe is 50's cool and they still have car shows there. Definitely brings you back to a simpler and nicer California. At least I think it does as I did not get to Cali and the Valley until 1969. Either way, very nice. I don't have to say anything about the Big Boy burger itself as it is a classic, as is the Pappy Parker Fried Chicken, which I'm not quite sure if they have on the menu anymore, need to look next time. So now...... the pasta. Let me start off by saying that I know full well that you don't go Bobs for pasta. but I was there with Nate and he kind of forced me into it. No Bolognese on the menu, but they did have spaghetti and meatballs. So I went for it. Four huge meatballs, very generous. Not too bad either. a little flavor, good texture, certainly not the worst I've ever had. The pasta itself was cooked well and had good texture also, very important as I hate overly or under cooked pasta. I can make pasta with the right texture so everybody else damn well better as well. But the main part of the dish and the focus of this blog is of course the Bolognese, or in this case, the sauce. Industrial. Best I can say. Right out of a 5 gallon can. Some chunks of tomatoes but with that fake tomato flavor. Bad, lifeless, tasteless. Knew it going in but had to do it for the sake of the cause. I sacrificed so you don' have to. If you are desperate for pasta and meat, get a can of Beefaroni, (which I will be reviewing here soon.) Cheaper, faster and way better. The Cherry Coke was great though. Peace out. J

1 comment:

  1. Those meatballs sound tasty, and I would chide you for complaining about something somewhere you shouldn't have ordered it, but then where would I be for my Thursday night amusement?

    ReplyDelete