Friday, September 11, 2009

Kristinas Italian Place



Kristinas Italian Place
3409 Overland Ave
Los Angeles, CA
310-836-0891

Met the family last Sunday at Kristinas. Now this is a very funky place on Overland. We have been going here for many, many years. It's in a really crappy strip mall and right next to a laundromat and a dry cleaner. I pass it every time we go there because it is so indescript i still can't find it. Having said that, there is something very homey and familiar to this place for me and I kind of like it. We were about 10 people total and there were only a few other's in the place. Must be more of a local hangout I guess cause I'm not sure how any body else would find this place. We used to go here when my grandmother was around and I always remember this place fondly. It's strange how some really pretty mediocre place takes on a special meaning like that. I have been ordering the Bolognese here forever, and it really hasn't changed. While I have not been happy with the last few bolognes' I have had at other locations, this one is well, mediocore. Not bad, certainly not great. It just seems tired like the restaurant itself. Decent texture to the pasta, thinner pasta then I usually like, but again not bad. Fairly meaty sauce, decent taste. A little spicy but not overpowering. Nothing weird or out of the ordinary, just your basic bolognese. decent chunks of meat and pretty good tasting sauce. I am starting to think that most places don't put a lot of thought into their bolognese, it's not a glamorous dish, probably why I like it. If you are dying for some bolognese, you could do worse then Kristina's, it just won't leave any lasting impression. It does come with a nice salad though and really good bread. and the price for the meal is $10.95, fair in my mind. My family will keep coming back here and I'll keep ordering the bolognese. Good memories are hard to find, so hang in there Kristina. Ride on. J.

1 comment:

  1. D says his food, clam pasta in red sauce, was just short of an abomination. Mine, spaghetti al olio y aglio, was great. I think in a little spot like Kristina's the best approach is to keep it simple, like a bolognese or pasta with olive oil and garlic.

    ReplyDelete